Great misfortune or disaster, calamity is considered as most of the usual root causes in an emergency. We need to understand all an emergency’s aspect so as to know how we must deal with them. When it comes to emergency preparation, it is a must to know the different contributing factors from the environment and potentials of our surrounding area that can greatly affect safety and health in general.
We always hear that prevention is better than cure. It is indeed not debatable. And in terms of safety, this cliché saying effectively applies. In terms of emergency preparation, we need to understand the following factor that contributes to disaster or calamity that possibly hits us.
- Relatively poor water quality
- Poor water quantity
- Inadequate excreta disposal or none at all
- Improper sanitation
- Poor hygiene
- Poor housing
- Inadequate waste disposal (solid)
- Poor drainage system
- Presence of disease-transmitting factors
- Air pollution (indoor)
- Air pollution(Outdoor)
- Relatively bad weather conditions
There is a definite risk in the above-mentioned situation. The only thing we can do is emergency preparation at all cost. So what is risk anyway? It is defined as the expected problems, damage or losses from a certain hazard in a specific period of time. It is categorized into two, predictable situations a long-term emergency or sudden risk.
If indeed there is a risk in any incident, it will have the chain effect to become a potential hazard. So we must realize that there is really a significant need for emergency preparation in all different situations and must be looked at for any angle.
- Natural occurrence(s) is defined as natural disaster or calamity. Examples are tornado, flooding, tsunami, drought, crop damage, pests and hurricane.
- Man-made influenced hazard Examples of this type of incident or occurrences are industrial contamination, chemical accident, war, political scandal, persecution and the like.
- Combination of natural occurrences and man-made disaster – Most if some of the conditions are affected by human and natural factor. Disease outbreak and climate change are just some example of factors under this circumstances.
It is then very significant to know our capability to come up with an effective emergency preparation. Capability is tantamount to the extent of range of possible natural and man-made resources. This is where we must process needs to be reliable in possessing, accessing, and developing emergency preparation.
The following are some of the phases that you need to deal with in terms of emergency preparation:
- Recover from a disaster
To know our vulnerability on different levels of emergency situations means improving our capability of implementing our emergency preparation. Vulnerability can be relatively defined as the extent of which a certain population or organization or even individual is able to participate in times of calamity. Resistance and ability to cope with problems are also big factors.
There are many factors that affect the susceptibility of a certain community against hazard of calamity or disasters: physical condition, social condition, economic condition and environmental condition. It is important to understand all of these to be able to come up with the best emergency preparation as possible. But of course, it would not just stop at emergency preparation, what really matters is the execution of our plans.